First of all, I'm telling you that this review might actually gives you spoilers.
Title: Paper Towns
Author: John Green
"You will go to the paper towns and you will never come back." -Margo Roth Spiegelman
Got the book from my boyfriend a couple weeks ago. I don't know where did he bought this book for me, but you can find this book in Gramedia Bookstore for about IDR 145,000. I wanted this book since a few weeks ago when Paper Towns movie was announced to release on July 2015, and I always require myself to firstly read the book before watch the movie. I also did the same with The Fault in Our Stars.
Just in case you're asking, why didn't I just read the translated one? Because I don't really like translated books. It feels awkward and sometimes, some parts are deleted because of Indonesian tight culture (you know lah). Besides, I honestly think that reading novel books in English feels fun and pretty challenging. It also improve my English language skills.
In short, Paper Towns tells you a story about Quentin Jacobsen, an ordinary boy falling in love with the mysterious girl Margo Roth Spiegelman. As Q said, "She loved mysteries so much that she became one," and she did become one.
According to their parents, she does runaway sometimes and left some clues for her family to find her, but nobody did. Now, she's gone again after hanging out with Q for a night until early morning. For some reason, Q thinks that she wants him to find her. And so Q's journey began. He gathers a lot of clues to find her with the help of his friends.
This book is divided into three chapters:
- The Strings, which tells you about the night Q spent with Margo Roth Spiegelman to accomplish her eleven mission until early morning.
- The Grass, contains Q's journey with his friends finding clues to find Margo Roth Spiegelman starting with a poem book by Walt Whitman.
- The Vessels, tells you about 21 hours trip by a Ford minivan to find Margo Roth Spiegelman.
Now, is anybody asking why does the book titled as Paper Towns? Are you asking what paper towns actually is? Well, if you really want to know, you have to look for it by reading the whole book!
In my opinion, Paper Towns is quite a good book. It's full of ups and downs, also contains romance, friendship, and also mystery. My favorite character is probably Quentin Jacobsen and Ben Starling.
- Quentin Jacobsen, because of his love for Margo Roth Spiegelman. He loves Margo so much that he's willing to stay in a haunted house just to find clues about Margo. He loves Margo so much that he chooses to not attending his graduation to find Margo. He loves Margo so much that he doesn't mind to do anything just to find Margo.
- Ben Starling, because of him needing to pee on Q's minivan during their 21 hours trip. And for enjoying GoFast nutrition bars so much, and for getting Lacey as his girlfriend, and for being the new keg stand record holder, and for wearing nothing under his graduation robes, and for having RHAPAW as his only car.
I enjoyed this book so much that I can't wait for the movie. The trailer makes me curious even more, and I do think that Cara Delevingne matches Margo's image so much! To close this post, here are some photos of my book I took myself:
"The town was paper, but the memories were not." -Quentin Jacobsen
"It's so hard to leave until you leave." -Quentin Jacobsen
"Everyone gets a miracle, my miracle is Margo Roth Spiegelman." -Quentin Jacobsen